iFi has introduced a new Signature version of their popular Micro iDSD DAC / Headphone Amplifier and they have a lot to say about it.
Parts count cost aficionados will appreciate the level of detail iFi have gone to itemizing what goes into their new Micro iDSD Signature DAC / Headphone Amplifier as well as its attendant functionality:
- Burr-Brown True Native chipset installed in a custom ‘interleaved’ configuration handling PCM data to 32bit/768kHz, all levels of DSD up to DSD512, single- and double-speed DXD, and MQA
- iFi’s GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and intelligent memory buffer
- Custom ultra-low-distortion op-amps feature in both the digital and analogue stages (part numbers OV2028 and OV2627 respectively), together with a hand-selected range of capacitors including the multilayer ceramic type TDK C0G, polyphenylene sulphide film type Panasonic ECPU, and aluminium-polymer solid type Panasonic OS-CON. MELF thin-film resistors and inductors from Taiyo Yuden and Murata also feature in the circuit design
- 4,100mW output power for headphone amplfier
- iFi’s exclusive S-Balanced circuit delivers maximum performance from single-ended and balanced headphones alike
- ‘Standard’, ‘Minimum Phase’ and ‘Bit-Perfect’ for PCM files
- ‘Standard Bandwidth’, ‘Extended Bandwidth’ and ‘Extreme Bandwidth’ for DSD
- ‘Turbo’ to ramp up the level of drive for current-hungry headphones
- ‘Eco’ to dial down the power to suit high-sensitivity in-ear monitors and/or to extend battery life
- Two levels of IEMatch are available – ‘High Sensitivity’ and ‘Ultra Sensitivity’
- XBass+ adjusts frequency response to enhance low frequencies – useful with ‘bass-light’ headphones, such as some open-back designs. 3D+ compensates for the ‘in-head localisation’ effect
- USB Type A and 3.5mm S/PDIF input that accepts both electrical and optical signals
- a pair of RCA analogue outputs
- 6.3mm headphone output and a 4.4mm Pentaconn output for headphones offering balanced connection
- new Space Blue finish
- The faceplates at the front and rear have been trimmed for a sleeker look, with a redesigned volume knob and new switches for XBass+/3D+
- A multi-coloured LED to indicate the sampling frequency of the music being played is now also sited on the front panel, while the IEMatch control has been moved from underneath the unit to the side
- A USB-C charging port now resides on the right-hand side, next to a new battery status indicator.
- Damping feet now adorn the underside of the unit
Whew! That’s a lot of information and a lot of stuff to fit into a 6.8″ x 2.6″ x 1.1″ box.
The iFi micro iDSD Signature will be available, in limited quantities, later this month from selected retailers at a recommended retail price of $649.
Company Website: iFi Audio